The BSC Graphic Novels are graphic novel versions of eight Baby-Sitters Club books, publishing started in 2006. All of the graphic novels have the same plot as the original books. The ninth novel will be published in 2021. There are fourteen books currently planned, with two coming out per year. The novels have spun out and started to adapt some of the Baby-Sitters Little Sister books.
From 2006-2008, four graphic novels by Raina Telgemeier were published by Graphix, an imprint of Scholastic, with illustrations in black and white. Telgemeier chose to illustrate BSC book #7, Claudia and Mean Janine, rather than BSC book #2, Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls, because she felt it gave more insight into Claudia's character.
Later, after the popularity of some of Telgemeier's other books, the first four graphic novels were re-released in full color. Because they continued to be popular, more are being produced with new authors and illustrators - Gale Galligan for graphic novels #5-8, and Gabriela Epstein and Chan Chau alternating for graphic novels #9-12, with the artists for #13-14 to be announced.
Kristy's Great Idea was picked by YALSA for their 2007 Great Graphic Novels for Teens list, as well as ALA's Booklist 2007 Top Ten Graphic Novels for Youth.
Graphic Novels Published
|#1 Kristy's Great Idea||April 2006 (B&W)
April 2015 (Color)
|#2 The Truth About Stacey||Nov 2006 (B&W)
July 2015 (Color)
|#3 Mary Anne Saves the Day||Sept 2007 (B&W)
Sept 2015 (Color)
|#4 Claudia and Mean Janine||Nov 2008 (B&W)
Jan 2016 (Color)
|#5 Dawn and the Impossible Three||Sept 2017||Gale Galligan|
|#6 Kristy's Big Day||Aug 2018||Gale Galligan|
|#7 Boy-Crazy Stacey||Sept 2019||Gale Galligan|
|#8 Logan Likes Mary Anne!||Sept 2020||Gale Galligan|
|#9 Claudia and the New Girl||Feb 2021||Gabriela Epstein|
|#10 Kristy and the Snobs||Sept 2021||Chan Chau|
- In Dawn and the Impossible Three (Graphic Novel) the entire page where Stacey and Claudia are counting the Pike kids, if you look at Vanessa Pike, you can see that she is reading Ghosts, written by Raina Telgemeier, who was the original illustrator of the graphic novels. This likely might make fun of the Ghosts cameo of Kristy, Claudia, Mary Anne, Stacey, Dawn, Karen, and David Michael.
- According to the illustration of Vanessa reading Ghosts, if you read the actual book, on the still where Catrina (the protagonist) goes to the fountain at the Day of the Dead party, you can see Kristy, Mary Anne, Stacey, Dawn, Claudia, Karen, and possibly David Michael in the crowd.
- In Raina Telgemeier's book Sisters one of her presents is "the newest Baby-Sitters Club book" for Christmas.
- Gale Galligan‘s drawing technique is different from Raina's: Even when the character is not surprised, his or her eyes are always large showing the white part of it; the character‘s teeth are always shown when the character‘s mouth is open.
Black and White edition front covers (#1-4)
Full Color front covers (#1-9)
Beginning of Book Character Profiles
These profiles introduce the graphic novel reader to the current club members and their names and images. Books #1-3 used the same profile pictures (but with differently colored backgrounds). Book #4 introduced new member Dawn. Book #5 introduced new illustrator Gale Galligan, so the profile is drawn differently. Book #6 introduced new member Mallory and showed new illustrations. Book #7 keeps the same profile but with a different background color.
Stills and Pictures
- How the Graphic Novels are made