Emily Michelle Brewer
Emily Michelle Brewer
Emily Michelle Brewer-Thomas is a minor character in The Baby-Sitters Club books by Ann M. Martin. Emily is a two-year-old that the Brewer-Thomas family adopted from Vietnam through an agency called Love Bundles. Emily made her first appearance in Book #24 Kristy and the Mother's Day Surprise. Emily Michelle was born in Vietnam but her birthday and parents' identities are unknown.
Appearance and Personality
Emily is often described as cute with dark, shiny hair with bangs across her face, smooth, pale skin, and chubby cheeks. Kristy said she looked like a china doll. In Book 45, Kristy said that Emily is one of the cutest babies ever. She looks similar to Claudia Kishi.
Not much else is known about Emily's personality, except that she's pretty happy and giggly. She loves to laugh.
Since Watson and Elizabeth both work, Nannie Thomas, Elizabeth's mother, moved in with them to look after Emily while the kids are at school and the adults are at work. She is very close to Nannie, her adoptive grandmother. Karen is especially fond of Emily Michelle, as she named her pet rat after Emily and named it Emily Junior. However, Karen was jealous of Emily for a while and blamed things on her. She likes playing games with Karen, Andrew, and David Michael.
In Claudia and the Great Search, Claudia was tutoring Emily, teaching her shapes and colors. Emily Michelle was diagnosed as language delayed by Dr. Dellenkamp because she only heard Vietnamese for two years. Since she was language delayed, when she tried to get into preschool, her application was denied. Now she will go to preschool in a year. When she is old enough she will attend Stoneybrook Academy.
In Graduation Day, Kristy mentions that she will start full time pre-school in the fall.
It's mentioned in Kristy and the Secret of Susan that her room has a teddy bear and balloon theme. Her family knew that she liked to decorate her room that way. In Karen's Two Families, it's mentioned that she got a big girl bed.
- Her favorite game is "Shark Attack," but she doesn't play by the rules.
- Her favorite word is "cookie," but lately, her new favorite word is "tylis" which means "stylish."
- The Care Bears
- Balloons (#32)
- Teddy Bears (#32)
- Emily loves arts and crafts and loves to get messy (#45).
- Nightmares; was afraid of everyone until Claudia began tutoring her and now she trusts people, but still cries out in the night.
- In The Fire at Mary Anne's House, David Michael taught Emily the song Jingle Bells.
- Had the flu in Kristy and Mr. Mom
- Uses a high chair
- Isn't potty trained
- Is a slow, one-step-at a time stair climber
- Not a fast walker
- Nannie is teaching her how to put away her toys and she's been putting other people's things away as well
- Used to get a lot of ear infections; had tubes put into her ears because of it in Karen's Little Sister.
- She made a valentine for Valentine's Day.
- She was in her adoptive sister's baby parade in Kristy and the Baby Parade.
- When Kristy has a sleepover with the BSC, they have to be quiet after she falls asleep.
- Nannie tells her she's adopted, and Nannie does want to spoil her.
- Emily now understands ring around the roses, and she plays it with Sari.
- She gets glue all over herself when she uses it.
- In Karen's Swim Meet Emily learns how to swim, however she was swimming in Karen's Island Adventure.
- She exclusively wears plastic diapers in Kristy and the Dirty Diapers