6 until Karen's Birthday
Karen Brewer is the seven-year-old daughter of Watson Brewer and Lisa Engle. She is the older sister of Andrew Brewer and the stepdaughter of Elizabeth Thomas-Brewer and Seth Engle. Karen is a member of both the Engle Family and Brewer/Thomas Family. She is the narrator of the Baby-Sitters Little Sister series. Karen is a fearless, smart girl with a wild imagination which can sometimes get out of hand.
Karen is described as having long blonde hair, blue eyes, freckles and wears glasses (she has blue glasses for reading and pink glasses for everything else). She is frequently seen in her pink shirt with a unicorn on it.
Karen is the stepsister of Kristy Thomas, who is one of Karen's favorite people.
Karen was born on a warm spring day at 2:35 in the afternoon in Karen's Book. Lisa and Watson did not know Karen's gender until she was born, and they named her Karen because it means pure. Watson felt pure joy when he saw his daughter the first time.
Karen describes herself and her brother Andrew Brewer as "two-twos" (that she got from a book called "Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang") because they split their time between the "little house" (which is their mom's house) and the "big house" (which is their dad's house).
Karen and Andrew tend to have two of most things since they spend a lot of time at each of their parents' houses.
In the book "Little Miss Stoneybrook...and Dawn," Kristy helps Karen enter the Little Miss Stoneybrook pageant. The pageant is for girls ages five to eight. During the pageant, Karen wears the dress that she wore in her father and stepmother's wedding. For her talent, she sings "The Wheels on the Bus," but she added so many extra, made up verses to the song that the judges began looking at their watches because she took too much time.
For the interview part, Karen was asked "If your house was on fire and you could only rescue three things, what would they be, and why?" Karen had practiced the questions with Kristy and knew what she was supposed to say (nice answers like saying she would rescue her family), but instead, she said she would rescue her toys and her blanket. Karen did not win anything in the beauty pageant and she was sad and cried.
When she began kindergarten, she was put in the first grade during Christmas. After spending a week in first grade, Karen's teachers decided to move her to the second grade.
When she was younger, Karen attended Little Friends Day School where her teacher was Ms. Herman.
- Karen's two best friends are Hannie Papadakis and Nancy Dawes. The three of them call themselves the "Three Musketeers," after they had a really big fight. Hannie’s big brother, Linny, teases them about it.
- Karen met Hannie on her first day of preschool and she met Nancy after her parents' divorce and she moved into the "little house" with her mother and brother.
- She used to be friends with Amanda Delaney until the Delaney family moved away to another neighborhood. Hannie does not like Amanda.
- After the Kormans moved into the Delaney's old house, Karen becomes close friends with Melody Korman.
- Maria Kilbourne
- Margo Pike in Karen's Mermaid.
- Karen has a pretend husband named Ricky Torres who sits next to her in class because he also wears glasses.
- She is also friends with classmates Natalie Springer and Bobby Gianelli (who used to be a bully).
- Karen has a pen pal named Maxie Medvin who lives in New York City. She is also pen pals with Ms. Coleman's niece Caroline Bradley who lives in Oregon.
- In Karen's Swim Meet she makes friends with a visiting girl named Kristin.
- In Karen's Big City Mystery she becomes friends with Matt Dilley.
- Jenny Webb on a vacation in Karen's Cowboy.
- Keegan from Shadow Lake in Karen's Ski Trip and Karen's Fishing Trip.
- Sandy in Karen's Island Adventure.
- She is friendly with the girls in her class to invite them all to a sleepover.
Karen has her own pet that she takes of herself.
- Karen has a rat named Emily Junior who travels with her between her two houses.
- Karen found a cat named Growly in her shed and adopted it in Karen's Kittens
- She and Andrew have goldfishes named Crystal Light the Second and Goldfishie that live in a tank in the playroom at Watson's house. Karen used to have a goldfish named Crystal Light, but it passed away while she was at her mom's house.
- Watson adopted a pony named Blueberry for Karen after visiting an estate sale.
- Karen has two stuffed cats named Moosie and Goosie (who look exactly the same). Goosie stays at the "little house" and Moosie stays at the "big house."
- After her stepfather Seth Engle accepted a job in Chicago, Goosie moved with Karen to her dad's house.
- She has a blanket named Tickly that she ripped in half to keep one piece at her mother's and father's house.
- Rollerskating (BSLS #2)
- Mr. Ed TV show
- Cherry Italian ice
- Being the leader
- Ms. Colman
- The Wizard of Oz movie
- Lemon Drop (music group) (LS#105)
- Storytelling (preferably about Mrs. Porter/"Morbidda Destiny")
- Being a "Two-two" (sometimes)
- Roald Dahl books
- Being grounded
- being punished
- house rules
- her favorite jeans being missing (left at Mommy's house)
- having a mullet
- her favorite TV show, Mr. Ed, not being on
- having the chickenpox
- being bored
- getting into fights
- Being a "Two-two" (sometimes)
- Turnips (#32)
- Being sick (#24)
- Karen takes her spelling seriously and is protective of her little brother.
- She believes her neighbor Mrs. Porter (or Morbidda Destiny) is a witch.
- She thinks that the attic in the Brewers' house is haunted by the ghost of Ben Brewer.
- Karen has to wear earplugs when she goes swimming. She likes to help out in the kitchen.
- She loves to make up games. She likes to play Let's All Come In and her favorite character in the game is Mrs. Mysterious (who dresses in black). Karen's favorite game is Going Camping.
- Karen attended Camp Mohawk one summer and even attended a circus camp with her friends.
- Karen can sometimes be bossy and loves to be the leader.
- Karen has been the hospital twice: when she broke her wrist while roller-skating (Karen's Roller Skates) and when she got her spleen removed after falling from her tree house (Karen's Accident).
- She also had the chicken pox at the same time as Emily Michelle during Halloween.
- Karen's "best enemies" are Pamela Harding and her friends Jannie Gilbert and Leslie Morris.
- Her pediatrician is Dr. Dellenkamp.
- In Karen's Twin she mentioned that she wanted to have a job and kids when she is older.
- She likes to hang out by the stream in Mary Anne and the Playground Fight.
- She plays on a basketball team in Claudia and the Little Liar.
- She owns a pair of Ariel pajamas, as stated and Kristy and the Haunted Mansion
- Karen is part of Camp BSC in Mary Anne and Camp BSC.
- She is part of the green fair in Dawn Saves the Planet.
- Kristy mentions that she was making up stories when she was two in Claudia and the Great Search.
- She started preschool at three years old in Claudia and the Great Search.
Karen appears in the graphic novel versions of Kristy's Great Idea, Kristy's Big Day, and Claudia and Mean Janine. In the books she doesn’t appear in (minus Dawn and the Impossible Three) Kristy would receive a call from Watson to sit for her and Andrew. She also appears in the three graphic novels currently published in the Baby-Sitters Little Sister series, Karen's Witch, Karen's Roller Skates, and Karen's Worst Day.
In this series she is played by actress Ashley Chase. She is in four of the thirteen episodes.
Actress Jessica Needham portrays Karen in this version. She is only seen briefly.
She is played by Sophia Reid-Gantzert. Karen is in six of the ten episodes in this series. She is given the middle name Amaryllis in one episode. She went through a creepy phase. Karen still thinks Tabitha Porter (Morbidda Destiny) is a witch and gets it confirmed in Kristy's Big Day (episode).
Kids in Ms. Colman's Class Covers
Baby-Sitters Little Sister Series