Nancy Jane Dawes
Daniel Dawes (baby brother)
Nancy Dawes is a seven-year-old student in Ms. Colman's class at Stoneybrook Academy and a best friend of Karen Brewer. She appears throughout the Baby-Sitter's Little Sister series. She appears briefly in The Baby-Sitters Club series. Nancy is a member of the Dawes Family. She is the next door neighbor to Karen's "little house" where Karen's mother Lisa Engle and stepfather Seth reside on Forest Drive.
Appearance and Personality
Nancy usually has long red hair (sometimes described as reddish brown) and a bunch of freckles on her face. However in Karen, Hannie, and Nancy she says her hair is light brown and she has blue eyes. In Karen's Campout she says she has reddish hair and hazel eyes.
In Karen's Sleepover, Karen mentions that she is not afraid to say what she thinks.
She met Karen Brewer after her parents divorced and Karen moved in next to her. Nancy laughed when Karen tried to have a tea party by herself. Karen invited Nancy to play with her and they tried to guess each others names. Nancy went over Karen's house for lunch and Karen went to her house for dinner in Karen's Book.
Nancy's family is Jewish and celebrates Hanukkah. She celebrates Christmas with Karen while Karen celebrates Hanukkah with her in order to learn more about different celebrations in Karen's Wish. Her faith comes up multiple times in the series such as when she adopted Grandma B in Karen's Grandmothers, where they celebrate Yom Kippur and other various holidays together. Nancy doesn't eat pork as per Jewish traditions; she also says in Karen's Sleepover she probably wouldn't like it anyway.
Nancy's baby brother Daniel Dawes is born in Karen's Baby. While initially excited for his arrival, she found herself afraid of him when he came home tiny from an extended stay at the hospital. She is very close to her parents and can get homesick when away from them for multiple nights like she was during the events of Karen's Campout.
In Karen's Sleepover, she's invited to the sleepover with the other girls in her class. However, when she didn't get the invitation in the mail, she felt upset. She told on Karen for doodling in her math book. When Nancy finally got the invitation in the mail, Karen had uninvited her. The two girls ended up fighting and didn't want to spend time with each other. When Pamela Harding started to say the sleepover was boring, Nancy was re-invited and the girls started to have fun again.
Nancy enjoys doing arts and crafts and playing with dolls. The Three Musketeers once used her bedroom for their doll boarding school. At various events like in Karen's Carnival, she will sell friendship bracelets. Nancy also shares a doll with Karen named Hyacynthia.
Nancy wants to be an actress when she gets older and can play the piano and played the clarinet in the class band. She likes classical music and likes listening to Grandma B play the violin. Nancy has dance classes on Wednesday afternoons in Karen's Figure Eight. Her ballet teacher's name is Mrs. Flament in Karen's Runaway Turkey. She knows how to waltz as well when Grandma B taught her.
In Karen's Lemonade Stand she had temporarily quit helping Kristy Thomas with the Krushers to sell trail mix during games and practices.
She and Bobby Gianelli create B&N Gardeners to earn money to spend on Funland Amusement park. They split the money they earn between them and hire Andrew to help out. She gets into a fight with Karen when Karen gave them the last of the money she had in Karen's Lucky Penny.
Her paternal great-grandmother's wedding ring was given to her by her father. It was stolen out of her desk in Karen's School Mystery. After Karen and Addie Sidney caught the thieves, her ring was returned to her.
In Karen's Monsters Nancy has a fear of public speaking. Karen Brewer and Hannie Papadakis try to help her with her fear. She gives a speech after everyone in the audience when they turn around their seats.
In Karen's Movie, she plays as a character in the movie Karen Brewer was making for her grandad. She, along with the others, quit the movie when Karen becomes too bossy. They make up in the end and enjoy their movie premier.
In The Baby-Sitters Club series she goes with Karen to Shadow Lake in Baby-sitters at Shadow Lake.
While Keep Out, Claudia!, Nancy comes up with the uniform for All the Children of the World, a red t-shirt and blue jeans.
- Nancy's two best friends are Karen and Hannie Papadakis, they call themselves the Three Musketeers. She and Hannie sit next to each other in the back of the class and will sometimes pass notes to each other.
- Martha (formerly before she moved) Teacher's Pet
- Bobby Gianelli (only after school)
- Carly (from Hebrew School)
- The family once had a dog when Nancy was really little named Percy.
- She has a kitten named Pokey
- Nancy likes reading and her favorite series is The Bobbsey Twins in Karen's Wish.
- Her favorite teacher is Ms. Colman.
- She had a crush on a student teacher, Mr. Howard, in Karen's School.
- Nintendo games
- The Secret Garden (book in SS#8)
- In Karen's School Bus, Nancy said that Bobby protected her from the big kids.
- She had her appendix out in Karen's Doll.
- Her pen pal in New York is named Eli in Karen's Pen Pal.
- In Karen's Twin she mentioned that she wanted to have a job and kids when she is older.
- Nancy said that she didn't learn how to ride a two wheel bike until she was almost six in Karen's Unicorn.
- In Karen's Tattletale she was an aid in Mr. Posner's kindergarten class for switch day.
- She narrates several chapters in Karen, Hannie, and Nancy and five chapters in Karen's Campout.
- Nancy is mentioned in Get Well Soon, Mallory!.
- She is part of Camp BSC in Mary Anne and Camp BSC and seen in Kristy and the Worst Kid Ever.
- Karen says that Nancy rarely gets mad.
- In Karen's Tattletale, she made a terrarium for the science fair and won second place in her grade.